Tuesday, August 4, 2009

THING 11 Digital Citizenship


I looked all of the sites on digital citzenship and found it overwhelming to say the least. There was lots and lots of information to sort through. I liked the TEA sites but several of the links didnot work. The Texas School Safety Center was great. It had 3 sites that I thought were very good and I bookmarked them. they are: Stop Cyberbullying, Cyberbulling Prevention Tips handout, and Internet Safety Blog. I plan on sharing these with my school.


I learned that since 87% of all kids use the internet it is key that they learn how to evulate sites since their opinions are usually formed from the first site that they use. Students need to learn how to know if material is valid. They need to know how to use the deep web searches instead of always going to google. I looked at several of these deep web sites like Clusty, Intute, and Informine from the on-line education database. I know that these are on our Library Resources Page under find it, but I confess that I don't use these enough and I need to make an effort to teach them.


I will need to form several lessons on digital citizenship that include:


What is a digital citizen

Proper internet behavior

Cyberbullying

Copyright and plagiarism (have a lesson)

Valid websites

Evulation websites

Safety on the internet

Citing sources (have a lesson)

No comments: