Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thing 5 Facebook and Twitter







I have 2 sons and a daughter-in-law who all have a facebook account. I have watched them use it for years. Every time I go to my son's house, he lets me get on his account and catch up on all of his old friends. I love doing this as I have not seem any of these people since my boys were in high school. Also. one of my teachers created a facebook project this past year and I worked with her on this project on people in history. The kids had to pick a person that they wanted to research and then create a facebook page for that person. Then they could invite other people that were created by their classmates. it was a huge success as the kids loved doing it.






Twitter is interesting. I have never used it, but I know that thousands of kids are using it every day. This generation is becomming used to keeping up with their friends not much by phone but with twitter or by texting. They want instant information. Each twitter can only use 140 characters, so it has to be quick. I am not so sure how to use this in the classroom, but I look forward to hearing what other people have to say about it.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

That facebook project was, indeed, awesome. I think I may steal her idea this year. OR I may have them keep a blog as if they are a character in a book they are reading. I think I may like the blog idea better for my purposes. Aren't you excited that you are going to get to see me so much next semester?
BTW I'm working on your Rice University presentation. There will be a wiki element... I know you can hardly wait.

atxteacher said...

I like the FB project or a blog project in character. Good ideas!

I recently read an article about teens using Twitter (got it from a Twitter posting - Tweet). The article highlighted that kid aren't using Twitter as much as adults. They prefer facebook!