Sunday, March 2, 2008

THING 16 Wiki Wiki

Wiki's are a great way for people to collaborate. The name comes from a Hawaiian phrase, wiki wiki, which indicates something fast. Everyone on the planet should be familiar with Wikipedia which was my first exposure to a wiki. All the kids at school talk about going to wikipedia first even though I try to tell them that sometimes the information may be changed.
I like the "you tube" video that made it real easy to understand the concept. The video is called "Wikis in plain English" This shows a video that uses a camp out as an example of how a wiki works. It is cute and easy to understand. I would use this video as an intro for my teachers.
I looked at several of the examples of library wikis that I thought were useful. One of the best ones was "Must Have Graphic Novels Secondary" that came from the teacherlibrarianwiki
FrontPage site. It is a great place to get ideas on what graphic novels people are talking about.
This site has lots of places you can go for help with selection. Another site that I thought was unbelievable is "Library Success: a Best Practices Wiki" It has any and everything in it that a librarian could ever need. It has such things as reader's advisory, reference service,
selling your library, management and leadership, materials, selection, training, technology, and even information sharing.
There were several examples of how a wiki could be used in the classroom that I liked. Teachers could really get great ideas from these sites:

Sample School Wiki
Sample Literary Circle Wiki
Sample AP World History

No comments: