Thursday, February 28, 2008

THING15 Web 2.0, library 2.0, and the Future of Libraries


I like the idea of changing the "mind set" of librarians and libraries. I am from the old school; when I started, we had card catalogs and research was done with books. We have come a long way baby! Now we are in an explosion of technology that almost grows faster than we can keep up.
According to the video " A Vision of Students Today", kids will only read 8 books but they will read 2300 web pages and read 1281 facebook paages. They spend 3 1/2 hours on line. They write only 42 pages for class but will write 500 e-mails. These students of today must be multitaskers. They are also preparing for jobs that may not exist right now. I can't read a book and listen to music at the same time. But thses kids have grown up with all of this technology around them. They adapt quickly to new things. I go to my 24 year old sons when I have a problem with the computer.
Dr. Wendy Schultz said in her article "To a Temporary Place in Time," that libraries are communities. She futher says that in a 2.0 world that the "library is everywhere, barrier free, and participatory." We the librarians will become the "experienced tour guides." I like that---we can be seen as helping travelors as they begin to chart their jouney.

No comments: